Live like a local in the Gisborne area
In this section, we'd like to share our local secrets with you!
Walking & talking
- Try walking the coastal boardwalk which winds its way from Reads Quay, a short walk from downtown Gisborne along the fantastic town beaches to the Midway Surf Club.
- Walk up Titirangi Hill (also known as Kaiti Hill) for spectacular views over Gisborne and Poverty Bay and learn about our local history.
- If you like a bit of history call into the Tairawhiti Museum and Art Gallery and pop next door to Wyllie Cottage and The Te Moana Maritime Museum.
- Navigate the legendary Tupapa Heritage Trail to learn about local history and culture.
Exploring & activities
- Drive a few km's north to experience some of New Zealand's best surf at Wainui and Makorori beaches.
- Explore along the old railway line on really fun tandem railbikes. Gisborne railbike adventures.
- Experience the Tatapouri Stingray feeding and reef walk. You learn heaps about stingray behaviours and habitats and the whole tour is really interesting.
- The farmer's market on Saturday mornings is a must if you like fresh produce, local wines, preserves and art. Grab a coffee and walk along the banks of the three rivers or the Riverside walkway towards the beach.
- Have a surf lesson with the multiple legendary local surfers who now share their passion and love of surfing.
- Mahaanui is a great location to also explore Wairoa, Mahia or lake Waikaremona. All within 1.5 hrs drive.
- There are 2 local golf courses or the more upmarket Poverty Bay Club Golf Course in Gisborne.
Food, wine and coffee
- Food places we like include Flagship Eatery, Ussco Bar and eatery, The Marina, Crawford Road Kitchen, The Works Restaurant, Fettucine Brothers, PBC, Nina's Kitchen, Verve Cafe, Curbside Cafe, Lonestar restaurant and bar and a good family option is Captain Morgans for great fish and chips.
- Best Bar for local bands and a beer try Smash Palace hidden away in the subdivision.
- Make sure you make some time to taste some of our awesome local wines. We like Matawhero, TW Wines, Bushmere Estate, organic Milton Vineyards, The Bridge Estate and Kirkpatrick Estate Wineries.
- Or try some cider tastings at the Harvest Cidery.
- Find great coffee at Verve Cafe, PBC, Far East Coffee and Raglan Roast.
- If you like awesome ice creams try the real fruit ones at Village Berries in Ballance Street Shops.
- Venture into some local boutique stores like The Aviary, Beaufoy's, Palembang, Koco, The Village Homeware Store, and Retro Collectibles.
- If you need a good book call into Muirs Bookshop - they have great homebaking and coffee upstairs too!
- Watch a movie at the Dome Cinema. Relax on beanbags and enjoy local food and beverages while watching the movie.
- Call into the Gisborne i-site who will be able to recommend lots of other adventures for you.